Simi Valley High School, actively promotes the vision of Commitment to Excellence. The staff is dedicated to promoting high student achievement by providing a rigorous academic and vocational program within a positive learning environment. The faculty and staff of Simi Valley High School strive to raise scholastic performance and behavior standards for all students. Simi Valley High School meets all requirements for the federally required Annual Yearly Progress report based on the No Child Left Behind law issued in November of 2003.
We are committed to providing a coordinated program of academic achievement,vocational and technical experiences, career and college planning, and co-curricular activities. We continue to plan and improve our school's programs through staff development days with an emphasis on standards-based curriculum and instruction, as well as making progress on our WASC Schoolwide Action Plan. This plan includes five major goals:
- To improve all students' ability to communicate effectively in written form.
- To increase communication and collaboration throughout the entire school community.
- To increase reading comprehension test scores in all student subgroups to meet state API targets and improve student's skills.
- To insure that every student becomes proficient in Algebra I California State Standards.
- To increase by 10% the number of students qualifying for the A-G list.
Highlights at Simi Valley High School include a digital photo lab, three business computer labs, a language computer lab, and refurbished labs for science classes. Our library-media center continues to be the school's academic hub, providing fifty computers and multimedia equipment for class pesentations and workshops. The books, resource materials, and the online databases continue to help students with a variety of research projects. As an added caveat, the databases are accessible to students through our website and through the internet. Students have their own "folder" on the school's network, available from any computer at the school.
Special features of the Simi Valley High School curriculum include:
- Mock Trial Team
- Academic Decathlon Team
- Medical Health Careers Pathway, in which students attend classes geared toward facilitating entry to the field of medicine
- State recognized Science department, which includes Anatomy and Physiology
- An extensive Advanced Placement program, which includes Art, Biology, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, World History, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Physics, Spanish, U.S. History, Government, Ecomonics, Statistics, and Computer Science.
- Successful sports programs (C.I.F. Track and Baseball champions)
- Award winning Music program, both instrumental and vocal groups of all kinds
- Thespian Society, part of an integrated Drama program
- An extensive honors program, recognized by the University of California, which includes Spanish III Honors, English 9 Honors, English 10 Honors, Algebra II/Trigonometry, Anatomy and Physiology Honors
- Well-equipped and helpful College and Career Center and Work Experience offices
- Vocational Education Courses, including Wood Shop and ROP Metal Shop programs that are unique to Simi Valley High
- College & Career Seminar, a support program and intervention for incoming ninth grade students
Simi Valley High School is ranked in the top six hundred high schools in the nation as measured by the Advanced Placement Challenge Index.
For more information, please see our School Accountability Report Card on the Simi Valley Unified School District's website, or give us a call at 805-577-1400.